Sunday, June 21, 2009

Staycation!

I work 6 days a week, so Sundays tend to be all about chores and errands and catching up on personal emails, phone calls, etc. The only time I ever take time off is when I go visit family or go to a trade show. And in my book, those don't really count. I have been incredibly busy this year and a little burned out. So have been craving what I think of as 'a real weekend' - two full days in a row of doing whatever I want to do. All day. No requirements, no obligations, no work of any kind. I figure if I can't go away on a vacation, I can pretend I'm on one right here at home, right? So last weekend I did something I haven't done in years. I took the entire two days off.
First, I called two dear friends and we planned a canoe trip down the Black River for Saturday. Diane and Mary arrived at my house that morning and we packed up our picnic lunch and drove to Black River Canoe Trips in Tenino where our rented canoes awaited us. Then we set out on the river, and spent the day laughing, watching heron, eagles, and hawks. It was a fabulous trip. On the way home we stopped in a perfect little small town dive bar for cold drinks, compared our sunburned arms and vowed to plan special day trips more often.
Sunday was a rare treat. I let myself have a lazy morning (no chores allowed, and I had to fight myself a few times as I reached for the windex) and then spent the entire afternoon at the V spa in Olympia where I had scheduled a day of pampering. I started off with a fantastic 90 minute massage. My masseuse was fantastic. She gave me an incredible facial massage she learned in Brazil (which is where she is from). My massage was followed by a lovely lunch of salad, fresh fruit, iced tea and frozen yogurt for dessert. I felt like a princess, sitting in a huge overstuffed chair in my terry robe, being served lunch on a tray in the beautiful little private sitting room.
When they came to get me after lunch, I could barely move. But next was the deluxe anti-aging facial and knew it would only get better. The highlight of that hour was the Self Heating Mud pack which was applied to my spine and stayed on during the facial treatments. It was the strangest sensation ever, and the sounds it made! The entire hour it was bubbling, crackling, popping and even squeaking and felt like tiny fingers and bubbles parading all over my back. I loved it!
By the time I got home I was more relaxed than I remember feeling in years. I spent the evening on the deck reading and ignored the phone and kept myself from checking email. I honestly felt like I'd escaped for the weekend without the hassle of travel.
I love working for myself. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I have to admit that I'm the toughest boss I've ever had. I never imagined that I'd end up working pretty much every day when I started this business. As most of you know, there's always something that needs to be done and when your business is your passion, it's hard to choose time off instead. But I remembered this weekend that as important as my work is, I need to make more time for me. And I'm putting in for another weekend off soon.
I hope my boss approves it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your boss is a very smart boss. She knows what you need to keep you motivated, stimulted and content. And hopefully she will continue to insist that you do those things for yourself (I think she will). Wish I could come on one of those canoe trips! Well, yes, and one of the spa days too.

Unknown said...

I think you have a great boss and that she would wholeheartedly agree. Sounds like you are the ideal employee-developing ideas, incorporating ideas, implemeting ideas. Wow, pretty impressive and incentivizing! Go Pam's BOSS!

cheaptherapy said...

Pam, i am SOOOOOOOOOO proud of you!

Colleen MacDonald said...

You can tell your boss that the key to higher creativity and motivation amongst employees is rejuvination! I'm proud of you for giving yourself some time to relax and respect your non-working self. I feel inspired!

Pam Corwin, Business of Crafts said...

Thanks you guys! I need that support and perspective!